Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Anesthetized In The USA

Just a little under two years ago I was on a business trip in Beverly Hills, CA.  On the last night of my trip, my colleagues and I were invited to an event for the Brent Shapiro Foundation.  At the event, I was able to meet Marlene Carson.  Marlene worked with the same company that I did but really never had met until that weekend.  As you can see from the fun photobooth pics taken from that night, we got along well. lol

That evening we rode together back to our hotel. On the way, we discussed where we were from etc.  Conversation that evening changed my life profoundly in an instant.  You see, Marlene was a victim of child trafficking. Something that we typically see happening in some other third world country.  But no this happened right here in the US.   She went on to tell me the story of how a couple befriended her parents and others parents in the neighborhood and eventually took a bunch of girls (herself included) to what they thought was going to be a fun trip ended up in sexual assault.  They kept the girls silent by threatening physical harm/death on thier families.  Can you imagine that being you?  Thats all I could think of.  As I sat there with my heart breaking her story didn't get any better.  She told me about the brutal beatings of not only her but others by pimps.  When asking her about the drug addiction with many prosititutes she said that usually occurs immediately. The pimp will beat the child/woman/perspective prostitute in what is a "seasoning" for her.  In her wounds he will put drugs-and it all starts there.  Coping with their enslavement also attributes to drug use.... obviously.

For Marlene she eventually able to get out and see beyond all that she had encountered.  This next part is amazing... Marlene is now the Founder of Rahab's Hideaway- a safe haven for those who have fallen prey to child trafficking/prostitution.  They help girls with the physical, psychological and spiritual needs to rehabilitate them and keep them safe from the street and their slave owners/pimps.  You can read more about Rahab's Hideaway Here 


A year prior to this trip I had seen some women walking the streets in a 'bad' section of town.  I knew they were prostitutes and I didnt care.  I didnt feel anything.  I didnt feel sad or bad.  I was more concerned with my own life and my own issues.  I think we do that alot in this country.  We dont want to watch the news because its depressing or in contrast we see so much negativity that it makes us go numb to the plights of others. 

What was most profound to me was when Marlene said, "No girl wants to be a prostitute Wendy".  Why hadn't I thought of that myself.  I mean, I was aware that there had to be issues with someone that went that route, but I always thought it was some sort of a choice.  A choice- hmm. yeah makes no sense to me know how I could be so ignorant. 

I didnt write this post today to be the bearer of bad news.  Truth is, you all know these things are going on right here in our backyards.  Do you care? If you met my friend Marlene you would.  What if you could for one second put yourself in her shoes.  Might you change your view of these women and see them as victims vs. a choice profession.....?    I sure hope so. I know for me, I refuse to act like these terrible things arent happening.  I refuse to not take action. 

I hope you are all blessed beyond measure.

xoxoxox,
Wendy

4 comments:

  1. God can and has used her...it's amazing when I read about women like her who have OVERCOME these things and are not sitting somewhere having a pity party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story. Clarissa is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yes, I recognize that the previous comment is HIGHLY LAME. Sorry. I'm so tired and the 2yo is not cute enough to be up this late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clarissa, exactly! Pam- lol he is too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete

So... what did ya think?